hy Israel?, written by South African activists Suraya Dadoo and Firoz Osman is here! This is one of the best resources for SA Palestinian solidarity activists and the BDS movement. In a pioneering contribution, Why Israel? exposes the South African Zionist lobby and its long history of using intimidation and smear campaigns. But the book goes far beyond that.
The foreword is written by Ronnie Kasrils, and the book is endorsed by Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Ahmed Kathrada, Essop Pahad, Omar Barghouti, John Dugard, Ramzy Baroud, Zwelinzima Vavi, and Terry Crawford-Browne (amongst others).
Why Israel? makes widely accessible expert academic analysis, online commentaries, articles and blogs of well-known and highly-respected Palestinian activists and human rights organisations, as well as reports from a wide range of Palestinian and Israeli NGO’s. The result is a comprehensive, easy-to-understand investigation of Israel’s colonisation of Palestine, covering almost every facet of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
It is fully-footnoted, with a 16-page full-colour photo essay (shocking images of violence and discrimination from ActiveStills, and powerful images of 1948 and 1967 Nakba’s from UNRWA), “quotable quotes” in side-bars, a detailed bibliography, index, and a list of useful websites and resources.
It will, therefore, be especially useful to activists, who need accurate, clear facts on Israeli Apartheid (particularly to write op-eds, articles, responses, prepare for advocacy efforts and media interviews, to use on social media etc.) It is also useful to high-school and university students, academics, journalists, government officials, and researchers. In fact, Why Israel is an indispensable guide for anyone wanting to fully understand Israeli Apartheid.
It describes clearly and simply:
- How Zionist Apartheid is implemented;
- Why the Apartheid analogy can be used to describe Israel’s treatment of Palestinians, and how it differs from the South African version;
- Israel’s violation of international laws and the consequences for Palestinians;
- How various pro-Israel lobbies, globally, have been able to maintain Israel’s reputation in the West in spite of its Apartheid practices;
- Abuse of anti-Semitism;
- Why the growing global Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) campaign and ‘lawfare’ against Israel is an effective form of resistance.